PZB on Koln-Dusseldorf

• Hello everyone/Guten tag,

First post here and apologies for it being in English. Unfortunately I do not speak any German. I hope you will still be able to help me anyway!

Is anyone else having issues with PZB since the TS2016 update?
    I have enjoyed driving on all the German routes in TS2013/14/15 and thought I understood the PZB system.

Now I have just tried 2 scenarios on Koln-Dusseldorf in the ICE3 and each time I have had the emergency brake activate after passing a 1000Hz magnet.

In the first instance the scenario is a Career Scenario "ICE3 - Ice Express CS" from Koln to Dusseldorf. In this case the scenario starts in Koln loading passengers. I set up the cab and turn on PZB. The first signal is a home signal which shows yellow and green and with it is a distant signal which also shows yellow and green, the line speed is 30km/h.
    Once I start the train the PZB buzzer sounds and I press PZB Wachsam, the 85 light illuminates then moving slowly forward the train crosses the signal magnet and the emergency brake comes on right at the magnet, there is no time to press any of the PZB buttons. Then the 1000Hz light illuminates and of course the 85 and 70 lights flash to indicate restrictive monitoring because I stopped.

On "ICE3 - Double ICE CS" after an uneventful drive from Dusseldorf on the approach to Koln there is a green and yellow distant signal. At the signal I press PZB Wachsam and the 85 light illuminates. Train speed is already at 40km/h due to line speed and then at the next home signal which is also yellow and green, when I cross the signal at 40km/h the emergency brake activates again. It seems that the 1000Hz magnets at each home signal trigger the emergency brake regardless of what the driver does.

Have I missed something here or has the TS2016 update (for this is with the paid full Steam version) screwed with the PZB system, and does this happen on all the German routes?

Thank you all for your time/Danke
    Garry

• I didn't notice any changes in the PZB system or the way it operates. And it seems pretty unlikely that any changes happened to Köln - Düsseldorf, since the route is very old and not even made by DTG afaik. Same goes for the ICE3, it is pretty old now and I doubt there were changes made to it. The PZB in the BR155 that comes with TS16 works very well and is certainly by far DTG's best PZB simulation so far. And alltogether their best engine.

Once I start the train the PZB buzzer sounds and I press PZB Wachsam, the 85 light illuminates then moving slowly forward the train crosses the signal magnet and the emergency brake comes on right at the magnet, there is no time to press any of the PZB buttons.

This sounds like you are making the mistake of using PZB like AWS. The PZB sound does not mean you have to press wachsam, it just informs you that some sort of change has happened, like for example restrictive mode was entered. The moment at which you have to press the PZB wachsam button is the very moment you are driving over the magnet. So in real life the driver holds down the PZB wachsam button while approaching the magnet and releases it within 4.5 seconds after passing over it. The way the PZB wachsam button is simulated differs slightly, the more realistic locos like the (newer) vR Expert-Line indeed operate in the way I just mentioned, where the button has to be pressed down while passing the magnet and released within 4.5s after passing it. On many / most of the RSC and DTG rolling stock you have ~4s after passing the magnet to press the button, which is unrealistic, but maybe more user friendly.

If you have problems with PZB or German signaling I can recommend the Tutorial video by PTGRail:

PZB Tutorial by PTGRail

I have made a similar Tutorial myself to help english speaking players, but I am not a Let's Player and don't have the necessary Hardware or Software to make a proper high quality video. I do go into more Detail though, so maybe it can be helpful. But I'd recommend the PTGRail one first. I do plan to remake my videos one day without digressing as much and making it all a bit more compact and more to the point, but I can't tell yet when I'll have the time to do so.

My PZB Tutorial (Theory)

My PZB Tutorial (ingame)

Hope I was able to help.

Cheers,
    Morb

• Thank you Morb for your very detailed reply.

Looks like I have being using the PZB wrongly over the years.

I tried the scenarios I was having trouble with and by pressing the wachsam button as I was crossing the magnet I was able to complete them both with no issues.

Great to have learned something new, and bettered my understanding of this system.
    I do wonder though if DTG made some core change to PZB in the update because I have been running German scenarios for a couple of years now without any problems (which only reinforced my mistaken application!).

In any case, its nice to have been educated, and I thank you for helping me out!

Many thanks
    Garry

• May be this helps also ... not perfect english but sould be good enoth to understand!

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

He made also an Video with an Overview ... link in the discription!

Haha i saw now he also posted it :D ... my bad xD