Aschaffenberg in Main SPessart Bahn the railway that runs to Bad Mergentheim

• Hi everyone,

I am Daniel from Australia and usually post in the DTG forums.

I have been enjoying the TSW2 (in TSW3) Main Spessart Bahn and noticed it has the port and a branch.

I am very interested in this!

I see there is a single line railway extending south from Aschaffenberg along the Main and Tauber rivers to Bad Mergentheim and beyond.

Does anyone here that lives in Germany or have knowledge on this route?

As I always get spammed google results when searching for tickets etc to find out about railways in Europe.

I noticed it is quite unusual to have google street view in Germany but Bavaria seems to be an exception.

Here is Bad Mergentheim in Google Street View.

https://www.google.co.jp/maps/@49.493647,9.771662,3a,75y,110.72h,85.28t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipOCbBeEsG2InMLfiUdm5t5eNDkxJ6IFRtts5mf3!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipOCbBeEsG2InMLfiUdm5t5eNDkxJ6IFRtts5mf3%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya191.57576-ro-0-fo100!7i5656!8i2828?hl=en&entry=ttu

I love the idea Main Spessart Bahn has the port and the small industrial branch. They are both unused. I mean there are no services (there are 2 passenger train stations south of Aschaffenberg that aren't used on the way to the port). Or am I missing something?

Near Germunden, Main Spessart Bahn

• The single track route starting at Aschaffenburg is VzG-5220 Aschaffenburg - Miltenberg → DE-Wiki

Passenger trains run as Main-Tauber-Express from Aschaffenburg to Wertheim via Miltenberg.

Since a few month street view should be covering most of Germany. If you have access to that, you can use Apple Maps instead which got most of Germany covered too.

Port and the branch line at Lohr are used if you own Rivet Games Br204 add-on. Though the services delivered with it aren't that high quality.

Passenger stations on the Aschaffenburg - Miltenberg line aren't used in the game.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gesingus () aus folgendem Grund: Ein Beitrag von gesingus mit diesem Beitrag zusammengefügt.

• The single track route starting at Aschaffenburg is VzG-5220 Aschaffenburg - Miltenberg → DE-Wiki

Passenger trains run as Main-Tauber-Express from Aschaffenburg to Wertheim via Miltenberg.

Since a few month street view should be covering most of Germany. If you have access to that, you can use Apple Maps instead which got most of Germany covered too.

Port and the branch line at Lohr are used if you own Rivet Games Br204 add-on. Though the services delivered with it aren't that high quality.

Passenger stations on the Aschaffenburg - Miltenberg line aren't used in the game.

Thank you!!

Yes I see the collectables there at the two stations.

I was thinking maybe it can be made into another Niddletalbahn style route!

With street view I noticed Germany prohibited it and have noticed it just this last week.

I am going to get the 204 when it's on sale.

I may make a scenario for the 628 from Niddeltalbahn for the 2 stations, one is Aschaffenberg Sud. They have been made nicely and they have collectables.

Reminds me of the Dresden station going to the airport that is not used either. But it has no collectables.

The Dresden Riesa is epic and hope it can be a new route to Leipzig or Berlin. Especially the freight part where it turns north from the Riesa bound freight line. I think that goes to Leipzig.

• Hey. I am a native of Bad Mergentheim and am currently a trainee train driver on this route. if you want to know anything specific about this line, I'm sure I can help you. And if not, I definitely know someone who can.

Hi Baureihe,

Thank you!!

What are the normal trains used on the route?

I am also a train driver in Australia but currently I do not work in railway.

If you have some videos or photos of stations and trains would be great!!!

The 628 from Niddeltalbahn runs on the route?

Can you catch a train to Aschaffenburg from Bad Mergentheim that goes on the Main railway ie the route next to Tauber and Main river?

How many or what kind of landmarks are there? Maybe some photos or videos too?

Please share some knowledge of the route, it is very interesting.

Maybe one day we can use the new route editor to make it.

Do freight trains run on the route?

Thank you. I will ask more questions soon haha :)

Daniel

PS I have included one photo of the famous Australian passenger train "The Indian Pacific". I took this about 29 years ago!

• The 628 from Niddeltalbahn runs on the route?

No, BR 642 Siemens Desiro... 628 are mostly out of services. The only place I can think of, that still runs them in regular service, are the branchlines around Passau.

„Wer die Freiheit aufgibt um Sicherheit zu gewinnen, der wird am Ende beides verlieren.“
    Benjamin Franklin

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von tom87 ()

• What are the normal trains used on the route?

The Westfrankenbahn operates the route with modernized DB class 642 only. Until 2019 they also used the class 628, similar to those included in the Niddertalbahn.

Can you catch a train to Aschaffenburg from Bad Mergentheim that goes on the Main railway ie the route next to Tauber and Main river?

Yes, there's an express service every two hours between Aschaffenburg and Crailsheim via Miltenberg, Wertheim, Lauda and Bad Mergentheim.

How many or what kind of landmarks are there? Maybe some photos or videos too?

The Maintalbahn (the section from Aschaffenburg to Wertheim) is known for its route close to the river and the many castles along the route. Miltenberg has a very beautiful old town, there are even models of the famous market square from Kibri in H0 gauge. Here's a good video of it in english:

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

The section south of Wertheim is known as Taubertalbahn. The “Liebliches Taubertal” cycle path received five stars from the ADFC, making it one of the best cycle paths in Germany. That's why many cyclists use the trains, and for this purpose additional bicycle parking spaces were installed in the vehicles as part of the modernization. A very famous landmark is Weikersheim Castle with its beautiful castle garden. The Westfrankenbahn promotes this with one of its trains.

66126763_1888911424542203_62258703461515264_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=phS6VSJJdncAX8iZd_0&_nc_ht=scontent-muc2-1.xx&oh=00_AfB6Z3qq48ZJUiEt1t2j5uU5OR2eKKgrzswmPPEBXsfHxg&oe=65339B27

Please share some knowledge of the route, it is very interesting.

The Maintalbahn and Taubertalbahn were built at around 1860. The Maintalbahn is now a main line; between Aschaffenburg and Miltenberg it is extremely relevant and has high passenger numbers. This section is scheduled to be rebuilt and electrified in the next few years. The current maximum speed of 120 kph will then be increased to up to 160 kph and a second track will be added in some sections. The Taubertalbahn, on the other hand, is a branch line that has often been threatened with closure. It has a maximum speed of 100 kph. Outside peak times, passenger numbers are manageable. Between Lauda and Crailsheim you can still find some mechanical signal boxes with semaphore signals.

Both routes are special for one reason: they do not belong to the infrastructure company DB Netz. The Westfrankenbahn is a so-called DB RegioNetz. This means that they operate both infrastructure and traffic on the route. The dispatchers are therefore Westfrankenbahn staff, just like the driving staff. On normal routes, the infrastructure and transport operators have been separated since the railway reform in 1994. This is not the case here. A similar system can be found around Mühldorf with the Südostbayernbahn.

Do freight trains run on the route?

There is irregular freight traffic on the route. The animal feed company "Josera" based in Miltenberg uses the route to transport its goods, using a Voith Maxima. Freight trains also run between Aschaffenburg and Miltenberg for the “Fripa” paper mill to supply wood and raw paper.

Dummheit ist eine Krankheit und das Internet der Erreger.

• Thank you for such an informative answer!

Do some people use these trains to get to Frankfurt? Or is commuting too far?

• Do some people use these trains to get to Frankfurt? Or is commuting too far?

Yes, in Aschaffenburg the trains to Frankfurt are one of the most important connecting trains. However, those who live south of Wertheim would go via Lauda because it is faster if you use the ICE from Würzburg, which uses the high-speed route to Nantenbach. In fact, current Deutschlandtakt drafts even plan to set up a direct express connection from Frankfurt to Miltenberg.

Dummheit ist eine Krankheit und das Internet der Erreger.