TS 2017 Memory saver

• Memory saver

Save up to 80 Mo...
    The folder Railworks\data\textures contains the files used for the interface. There are uncompressed JPG files, big TGA files and useless files from older version of the game. The patch replace non compressed JPG by fine compressed JPG, replace some TGA files with JPG files, remove useless files. Required filed and very often used files are preserved with full quality.
    In my own case, when I was in the scenario menu, railworks.exe was taking 605 MB. After the fix, it only needs 525 MB. So about 80 MB away from the ~3300 MB crash limit...

If you have a look a the picture taken from the same scenario, you will see about 90 MB saved in game !

Versions
    Version 1.0 : first release
    Version 1.1 : fix no background when scenario display a message. The file new_game_bg.tga is needed for this (172 Kb).

Installation
    1/ Cut and paste the folder Railworks\data\textures in a safe place for backup
    2/ Extract the textures.7z file in a temp location
    3/ Paste the folder textures from the temp location to the folder Railworks\data\

Uninstall
    Paste the backup back

Zusätzliche Informationen

Autor
    ES64F4
    Sprache
    English
    Version

Dateien

Teilen

Kommentare 14

• Does it work also on TS 2016?

• [Sorry. Englisch...]

I cannot tell the difference. Loading a route always goes way beyond 1GB RAM. But - on principle - it is a good thing, to squeeze every byte of memory one can get?

===============

What I myself also like to do = keep my non-Steam DLC Assets & Route folders out the of Railworks directory!

I only load 'necessary' Assets and Folders for a game session! I do this by linking "Assets" and "Content" via MS Junctions (SYMLINKS). The ones, I don't use, are not present.

About a 1000 locos incl reskins and 500+ routes don't need to be indexed in SDBCache.bin each time I start Railworks.exe or download or make a quick scenario.

If I was not so lazy, I could write a script and wrapped it into a GUI, so one could use it like the FSX Scenery Configrator = Click checkbox: "Which Routes You Want To Play Today?"... & the config file will keep unnecessary folders out of the database scanning ( = loads in miliseconds).

Another, extended script idea, would be to copy ONLY DATA YOU PLAY to a SSD drive partition (or much better = RAMDISK!!! = ca. 10x faster than SSD!) - it would 'pre-load' the necessary files once and the game would load in 2-3 seconds (RAMDISK - test it, if you have 16GB or better 32GB SysRAM!!)

While the rest of the game (way beyond 1TB - don't know about you - can stay on a NAS server or seperate bigger TB HDD (no need to store 1 TB of Train Sim files on a fast SSD - it just eats space for nothing!).

It is quite useful when trying out new user-routes or content. When the game crashes, I can quickly 'undo' and go back to a previous state.

• Vielen Dank @ES64F4 für den Saver. Bringt was im TS. Ohne waren es ca. 470 MB mit bin ich bei knapp 400 MB.
    Was so Kleinigkeiten ausmachen.

• Ich habe selbstverständlich ein Backup gemacht. Doch selbst die Verwendung der gebackupten Dateien bring den TTs nicht wieder zum Laufen.

• Auch die Steamüberprüfung bringt keine Korrektur. Ich hoffe nun, dass eine Neuinstallation hilft. Aufgrund einer fast unleserlichen Fehlermeldung vermute ich SweetFX zerstört wurde.

• dann hast irgendwas falsch gemacht.. :p und es wurde doch geschrieben, daß zuerst ein Backup gemacht werden sollte ;)
      als Hinweis: wenn du die neue Version entpackst, ist der entzippte Ordnername möglicherweise falsch - "textures v1.1" muss dann in "textures" umbennant werden!
      bei mir funktioniert alles bestens :)

• Use Steam to check files. It will solve the issue.

• Wow, thank you :)

• feine Sache :) danke.

• Du brauchst nur die neuere...

• Bin etwas iritiert durch die zwei angebotenen Dateien. Ist die zweite v.1.1.7z die neuere oder werden beide benötigt?

• Just install the v1.1 over. It will add the missing file.

• Ich war schon völlig begeistert von dem "minus 300 MB bei der VR 146 Patch".... aber hier wundern mich die 6 Likes und Null Kommentare doch sehr.
    ES64F4 hat hier wirklich eine mega Leistung geschaffen. Seit Jahren stellen wir uns alle die Ramfrage. Mit einfachen Mitteln nimmt dieser User einfach mal 80 MB von der Ramuhr IM KOMPLETTEN HAUPTSPIEL. Glückwünsch! So manches grenzwertiges Szenario dürfte jetzt besser laufen. Top!

Bitte, bitte mehr davon!