i5 @4,6 ghz vs i9@5.0 ?

• Hi everyone. I’m running my simulator (some of you have seen it in the screenshot-thread) in 4K with the graphics set pretty high. However, I’m struggling with the FPS in CPU-heavy areas such as Frankfurt, Leipzig and Munich where there are a lot of trains at the same time.

For now I’m on the current setup:

i5 9600KF, boosted to 4,6 ghz, cooler with a 240 mm water cooler.

ASUS Strix RTX 2080ti

32gb RAM

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X motherboard.

Question now is, would it be worth it upgrading the CPU? It’s a bottleneck at the moment, but staying with the 9’th gen CPU I don’t think I can get much higher than 4,9-5,0 ghz on the CPU.

Would it be worth upgrading from the i5 to the i9 9900KF? Will the step from 4,6 to say 4,9 ghz make that much of a difference? What are your thoughts?

• Ich denke der Unterschied von 4,6 auf 4,9 Ghz ist marginal.

Mein System: Win 11 Pro CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 4.5GHz RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz GraKa: AsusI RX 6700XT 12GB , TSC auf 1TB M.2 SSD, Win11Pro auf 500GB M2.SSD.

• Mostly user forgot, that Railworks is a DirectX9 Development, which is old. My opinion is, that faster/newer graphic cards has problems with the old DX9.

Maybe your resolution is too high. My 2070 has also problems by 4k and some tracks and games. If i try Ghost Reacon Breakpoint at Vulcan , i got 2 fps at ultra settings.

• To be honest it doesn’t feel like the GPU is the issue here. It renders the graphics really well. In situations where there not as many trains, passengers etc the FPS goes up really high. For example, running Bremerhaven-Bremen I get up to 50-60 fps in the rural areas and around 20-25 on the bigger stations. Where as in Frankfurt for example the FPS drops right as I start adding trains into the scenarios or using rolling stocks that are known to be very heavy.

But as many people here already mentioned, the difference between 4,6 and 4,9 ghz probably isn’t that big. I guess I’m better off just trying to overclock my current CPU a bit more. Temperatures are low enough at the moment so I should be able to squeeze out an extra megahertz or two.

Thanks everyone for your answers *danke*