Will We ever transition to TSW?

• Hello TS fans, I was wondering lately if Our much beloved developers will start making addons for TSW. It’s 2 years since it was introduced and still there is far less addons for it compared to TS. This is somewhat comparable to transition from MS FS2004 to MS FSX yet after 2 years almost all addons from Fs2004 were present for FSX. There were discounts or even free of charge versions for previous buyers who wished to upgrade from FS2004 to FSX. I know that there is a ton of addons, mods, repaints to be converted or even rewritten for new „platform” but maybe it’s time to start switching since TSW2 is at our doorstep.

ps. So I watched TSW Community Q&A and it seems that dovetail games doesn’t have a clue how sims are ment to be made. Content for TSW1 not compatibile for TSW2?! Maybe Mircrosoft should return to train sim. They are returning to Flight Simulator so maybe they will return to Train Simulator.

• Content for TSW1 not compatibile for TSW2?!

That's not true. You may need to watch it again. Content you bought for TSW1 will work in TSW2 (not all of it from the first day, but most of it).

The question if developers will transition to TSW lays on their onw decision. It's different to TS1, where you were able to create stuff without being on a partner programme. In TSW you will need to aquire the partner status to get your hands to the editor tools. So it's a harder way to get into, and of course a way harder work to do to get something done. But possible.

• I wont make the transition.

Me neither. Have also put a lot of time and effort and money into TS2020.
    TSW is more for the game console fans. :P

Mein System: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, MSI X670E TOMAHAWK WIFI socket AM5, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 32 GB CL30 DDR5-6000 RAM-Kit, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 OC-Grafikkarte, Samsung 2 TB 980 EVO PCIE SSD fur TSC, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO PCIE fur Win11 und Corsair EX100U 2 TB external ssd mit usb-c Gen3.2 fur TSC backup. CORSAIR Hydro X-serie custom watercooling setup.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von jhz37 ()

• I think the decisions that seems to have been made from DTG, that there are two different audiences for the two ganes make a lot of sense. And we will all benefit from it in the end.

Ich bin der Musikant mit Taschenrechner in der Hand.

• I am old. Own almost 90 Routes in TS.
    Grafic Quality of TSW is superb. Is has weaknesses. So I did not by to many DLC's.
    TSW2 will certeinly be better than TSW, perhaps not in the Grafic ares, but in other fields drivephysics and changes making in the game.
    TSW in comparison to TS is as Ts ot MSTS.

I will play with both TS and TSW2 ( I hope)

• So, like most of You I heavyly invested in addons for TS, and don’t see reason to switch platforms. It’s a pity that dovetail doesn’t want to update the engine of this game that it would use more CPU cores. Imagine guys/ladies that TS would use 8+ CPU cores .... 120+ fps on all of the routes would be so sweet.

• Imagine guys/ladies that TS would use 8+ CPU cores .... 120+ fps on all of the routes would be so sweet.

Nope. Even if you would have 128 cores, it wouldn't help much. When you hit the draw call barrier there will be no increase in FPS anymore. What the game would need is a new core engine. So, a new renderer and new asset pipeline -> ergo a new game -> what TSW actually is already. The reason why TSW exists is because TS1 can't easely being upgraded to new tech. The 64bit build is not a huge step compared to that, just some bits of code changed and recompiled to use more RAM, that's it. Games and especially their render engine have already the one problem even today, the renderer runs on core 0 only, call it the sync core. You can't spread the render engine across multiple cores by just a click. No game does it yet today. TSW uses UE and UE also renders on core 0 only (not exactly core 0 on your computer, but the core where the engine lays on when starting). TSW uses multi core proccessing for other things like SimuGraph. But the FPS thing lays on that one core 0 (it handles the draw calls for the GPU and here you can find the bottleneck of TS1 ... engine produces to much draw calls). So what you need is reducing draw calls by having a more modern renderer and asset pipeline, dynamic batching methods, better LODing, better instancing, high efficient PBR shaders and so on. Giving all that into TS1 would cost 10 times more than TSWs developing costs.

• I couldn’t agree more Maik, I was just day dreaming only. It’s rather strange to me that for more than a decade since we have 4+ cores CPUs game engines still cannot take advantage of power that is just sitting and waiting to be used.

• They could use the power of maybe 16 cores, but they then run into other problems. There are alot of users with only 4 core CPUs already. They would not benefit from a multicore renderer at least and the game would run way slower than on 16 cores, what is a problem on the todays market. All users want to play your game, not only those with 16 cores. So you would need a highly dynamic scalable engine core/renderer. That is nothing what you can achieve today, without spending more than double the amount of money into the game just for that bit of tech. On consoles it's a different story. There you have a predefined piece of harware power what will not change. I believe that most tripple A games that are made exclusively for a console, will use every single MHZ on every core that is available. Thats why they can make such nice looking games on those low power consoles. When all PCs would have a 16 core CPU and a RTX2080s, it would be as easy as on consoles to get out the raw power of it. But there are those poeple who want to play TSW (or other demanding games) on their lunch boxes (they call it their gaming PC, but actually most of them are just hot air fans). So you need to strip down your game to have better selling numbers. It's a high rist to demand to much hardware power today from your customers. Even if the power is there on the market. And you can't build your game for lots of different PCs. A problem that is as old as games itself (since D3D and dedicated GFX cards .. before it was better as most computers were the same in regards of gaming).