Consist editor crashing at 100% with out of memory error

• Hi, ever since I reinstalled the game after not playing it since 2018, I have been completely unable to use the consist editor designed to create consists for trainsets. It begins loading and then crashes within a few seconds after reaching 100% with an out of memory being displayed.

I was told by a user on another forum that the consist editor has been broken for some time and that DTG hasn't found a fix for it yet. Can someone confirm or infirm this? Also, what can I do to fix this issue myself if this is not a widespread problem that everyone has? I tried clearing my cache just in case but to no avail.

Here are my computer specs, just so that I don't have anyone try to argue that this is a graphics card issue because it clearly isn't.

Ultra Gamer AMD 5 3600X-2060
    Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600x (6 x 3,8 GHz)
    CPU Cooler: AMD Boxed
    RAM: 16 GB DD4R 2666 MHz/ Max. 64 GB
    GPU: NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060/ 6 GB GDDR6
    SSD: 1 TB Intel/ NVMe M.2
    Adapter: Cooler Master 600 Watt (80 PLUS)

I have also lowered my game settings although as far as I know they are not impacting the consist editor anyways. Again, to no avail..

• it seems to much assets, it looks like Memory full. May be there are some not complete (or defect) Assets so they help for a crash.
    Did you look for 0-Byte files in the Assets folder, did You run the Clean-Assets tool?
    I remember there was an border not more than 1000 lokos for Consist creating.
    My suggestion: rename Assets to Assets_all for Safety.
    then create an empty Assets folder
    There fill in a copy of KUJU, there are Basic System Files which are needed.
    Then copy only some providers which rolling Stock you will pack in consists.
    Then start the the consist creation.

Keine Hilfe und Auskunft per PN, da meist von allgemeinem Interesse. Diese Fragen bitte im Forum stellen.

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von StS ()

• Here's the logmate

The solution could be at the end of your logmate file:

Please look into your Railworks/Assets folder and sort it alphabetically. All was fine until Yohan\BB66000. (Ok, not fine, there are several error messages, but these were catched by the error routines).

I don't believe, that there is really a memory problem. This problem is very old and common. Your can find many threads and solutions many years ago in this forum. The problem is founded by missing a proper error handling. The TS tries to build the internal cache, based on the blueprints.pak files. To build them, it reads all content within the assets folder, grouped by the providers (directories). And if the TS can't read one of the included files because of 0-byte length or unexpected chars, it raises an exception. And here in this routine, the exceptions will not be caught, but let the TS dump.

So look within the Yohan folder. Is there alphabetically another folder after BB66000, where TS2020 tries to build the Blueprint file? Or if not, is directly in the assets folder alphabetically after the Yohan folder another directory?

Within this folder (Yohan/?? or Assets/???) the TS2020 dumped by trying to build the BluePrints.pak file. Look in the folder, if there any 0-byte files and delete them. Or if not, once move this directory out of the assets folder.

• So you're saying this Yohan folder may be causing all those problems? If that's the case, I will definitely delete it and keep you guys updated. I too would be very surprised if this turned out to be a memory problem, my computer is brand new.

• Most crashes I got where caused by defect Assets (not necessarily rolling stock).
    All Assets are scanned while using the consist editor. So even a broken asset of a house or tree can cause a crash.

My suggestion: Move suspicios folders out of "Assets" into "Assets_FooBar", clear all caches and try again.

Egal, wie weit Draußen man die Wahrheit über Bord wirft, irgendwann wird sie irgendwo an Land gespült.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Prelli ()

• Please no Full Qoutes, we understand answers withot this too!
    This not a Problem with your Computer, this is an SoftwareProblem with managing this Dataamount with failures. So the Ram rans full with Workorunds to avoaid a crash.
    sometimes the space is full. Peng.
    Clean up Your assets, make shure no 0-byte Datafiles ans ran the Clean assets tool, check die Lokmatelist and look for the Hints .
    May be it helps if you reduce the assets as i wrote above.

Keine Hilfe und Auskunft per PN, da meist von allgemeinem Interesse. Diese Fragen bitte im Forum stellen.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von StS ()

• So you're saying this Yohan folder may be causing all those problems?

No, that's not, what I meaned.

The last successfully handled asset was Yohan\BB66000. And the next asset, for which it's needed to create a blueprints.pak file is faulty.

Because you already deleted the whole Yohan folder, it must be the next (alphabetically) folder within Railworks/Assets. Sort the Assets folder alphabetically and look, what's the next folder (after the previously deleted Yohan folder). Assumed, you have cleared the TS Cache (deleted all blueprints.pak files) before running the Consist builder, this folder doesn't contain a blueprints.pak file. (Because the TS crashed on the try to build it).

• My assets are always in alphabetically order already. I downloaded the Clean assets tool which Sts suggested (thank you, by the way) and used it to clean my asssets. So I will try running the consist editor now that the assets have been cleaned and will let you all know if it's working finally or not. Thank you so much so far guys!! :)

• What's Assets_FooBar?

This was just an example of a temporary folder.
    Name it as you like:
    Assets_test
    Assets_foobar
    Assets_ImTooLazyToFindAProperFolderNameRightNow
    Assets_IReallyHateVeryLongFolderAndOrFilenamesThereforeIUseJustAVeryShortOneLikeThisOne
    Stessa_AssetsInReverse
    Assets_AndYesYouAreAbsolutelyRight_ILikeCamelCase

Egal, wie weit Draußen man die Wahrheit über Bord wirft, irgendwann wird sie irgendwo an Land gespült.

• Oh ok sorry, I get it now. Anyways, for now the game is still loading at v68_2c Processing Rail Vehicle Database and it seems to be stuck there. Usually it takes just a few seconds even after clearing my cache for the menu to show up once the game is launched. Is it normal that it's taking this long? I just hope the entire game won't be super slow now.

• At first I would test the hint of @NewRailWay (Welcome to the forum, btw)

Assume, you have a folder structure like this:
    Assets/
    |_Alpha
    |_Beta
    |_Gamma
    |_Delta
    |_DTG
    |_Kuju
    |_RSC
    |_Yohan
    |_Zeppelin

Protocolled in your logfile is a correct entry for "Yohan".
    But the next one "Zeppelin" is missing. So maybe "Zeppelin" is broken, you know?!
    Move out "Zeppelin" to a temporary folder and try again.

Another Hint:

Start the TS
    Clear the cache
    Start a scan in the Consist Editor ---> Crash

Now search in "Assets" for a file named "BluePrints.pak" with the size of 0 (Zero) Bytes.
    If you find one, the broken Asset is probably in this folder.
    Move the folder out to a temporary folder.

Repeat if necessary.

• Thanks for welcoming me, I've been here for a while now, I just don't post often because my German isn't good enough yet.

I just finished checking all the BluePrints.pak, I have exactly 3182 Blueprint files. A few of them are 1 Bytes (Ko) but none are 0. I managed to try accessing the Consist Editor again after using the CleanAssettool. Now it crashes at around 15% back to Windows.

• I have exactly 3182 Blueprint.pak files

This is horrible, can You find out ths summery of the size of this Blueprint.paks? in the Consist prozess they want to be in the RAM, i think thats impossible.
    How many Provider Folder do you have in the Assets-Folder ?

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von StS ()

• I have 563 provider folders in the Assets-Folder. The total size of all my Blueprint.pak files is 0,97 GB, the biggest . I can probably delete some files but it would be best if I could find out where is THE file or files that are causing this issue.

• I do not understand that 563 provider folders create 3182 Blueprint.paks.
    Anyway, extra Folder Asetts_save, move 50% of the Providers, e.g. from A to M except KUJU into the save Folder. Test.
    No Failure, then A to M back, N to Z out, Test. Is then a crash?
    if YES. Then continue 50% out fom N to Z, test. NO fauilure, then exchange the Providers in 50% Packages so long till one Provider wich the crash remains.
    BUT let allways KUJU in the Main-Assets Folder!

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von StS ()