Route stability enhancement pack from AP

• https://www.armstrongpowerhous…ct/product&product_id=182

Price £2.99

From the product page;

What is the purpose of this pack?
    One of the biggest issues with Train Simulator is its 32-bit 3.5GB 'memory' limit. Once you hit this limit, you will receive a 'dump' message and crash out of the simulator. With more and more rolling stock arriving at a higher quality than ever before, this strain has never been felt so much so this pack seeks to make routes more efficient so as to:
    Reduce the chance of a crash
    Provide the ability to include more rolling stock in a scenario
    Improve the chance of being able to use 'full' graphic settings where previously, scenarios advise against it
    How is this achieved?
    After extensive investigation, we have identified one area where we feel there is a disproportionate amount of memory used compared to its benefit and that's ambient audio. Since around 2013, routes have seen an explosion in the size of ambient audio files used and we have discovered this adversely affects performance, in some cases significantly. As a result, this pack removes most, if not all, ambient audio.
    As well as that, we found a handful of very large textures files which have been reduced in size, to a more economic level, with minimal visual impact.
    Is anything else included?
    Whilst not strictly related to memory issues or stability, this pack provides a good opportunity to make other improvements:
    Removal of default 'track bed rumble' sounds which stem from the early days of Train Simulator where rolling stock didn't feature their own 'run' sounds
    Standardised reverb when in a tunnel or under a bridge - using our own custom settings. This only applies to parts of routes where reverb is already present.
    Which routes are supported?
    Please see below for a list of the routes supported, including the memory saving that has been achieved.
    DTG Chatham Main Line: London - Gillingham (156MB)
    DTG East Coast Main Line: London - Peterborough
    DTG Great Eastern Main Line: London - Ipswich (459MB)
    DTG Liverpool - Manchester
    DTG London - Brighton (95MB)
    DTG London - Faversham High Speed (459MB)
    DTG Midland Main Line: London - Bedford (459MB)
    DTG North London Line (488MB)
    DTG North London & Goblin Lines (534MB)
    DTG Riviera Line: Exeter - Paignton (495MB)
    DTG Settle - Carlisle
    DTG South London Network (208MB)
    DTG South Wales Coastal (203MB)
    DTG South Wales Coastal: Bristol - Swansea (221MB)
    Please note that the memory saving stated is the total amount of files that have been removed or reduced in size and may not necessarily reflect the total saving seen in-game. Not all files will always be loaded at once and the greatest benefits will be seen over the course of a scenario which covers the full length of a route.
    For any routes not listed with a memory saving, these are already economical in their use of memory and only benefit from the 'track bed rumble' & reverb modifications.
    Disclaimer
    We make no guarantee that this pack will stop you from experiencing crashes or 'dump' messages. Memory is not the only reason the simulator will crash, though it is by far the most common. It will still be possible to hit the memory limit; this pack simply offers more breathing room before it happens.

• Da bin ich mal auf Erfahrungen gespannt. Wenn ich mir z.B. vorstelle dass auf der North-London-Line kein Großstadtlärm zu hören ist, würde mir schon was fehlen. Andere Frage ist : wenn mir das Ergebnis nicht gefällt, kann ich es auch wieder rückgängig machen, oder muss ich die ganzen Strecken wieder neu installieren ? Ansonsten eine gute Idee.

PC-Daten und ein TS Einstellungen siehe Profil

• Schade, nicht eine einzige Strecke aus Deutschland dabei.

Wenn es denn funktioniert, ist der preis ok.

• Not everybody enjoys looking under the bonnet of TS2017.

sure but in my mind that doesn't justify removing part of the game, then claiming it might not do what it's supposed to and then having to reinstall it manually (which does kinda takes a bit of tinkering with steam). AP is essentially just selling a *.bat file for 3 pounds. I think that is absolutely ludicrous. I am not with AP on this one.

• Not everybody enjoys looking under the bonnet of TS2017.

sure but in my mind that doesn't justify removing part of the game, then claiming it might not do what it's supposed to and then having to reinstall it manually (which does kinda takes a bit of tinkering with steam). AP is essentially just selling a *.bat file for 3 pounds. I think that is absolutely ludicrous. I am not with AP on this one.

As you say this is in your mind, all it claims is to ease the burden, not completely negate it, because if for instance you put 15 Railright class 40's at 100 mb each in a scenario, you are going to have problems regardless. Also some elements such as track rumble are no longer relevant as trains have their own sounds now. Whilst you may think it ludicrous there are plenty who do not and have posted their satisfaction, many of them wouldn't know a .bat file if it hit them in the face, many more would but lack confidence to create one and more still would rather click once and then get on with driving trains. Personally time is my enemy, I could modify the routes myself, but then I would have even less driving time, I haven't bought this, I may do in the future or I may just take another route. Choice is the key, you have made yours, others may make a different choice as is their right. I always think it is ludicrous to buy bottled water in this part of the world, but plenty do, again their choice.

• I have nothing against the pack. I have something against selling the pack. Something as minor as this is just not worth any money. I feel like they are taking advantage of users who dont know the sim.

I always think it is ludicrous to buy bottled water in this part of the world

Yes i agree with that very much

• "I have nothing against the pack. I have something against selling the pack. Something as minor as this is just not worth any money."

A product of any type is worth as much as somebody is willing to pay for it.

"I feel like they are taking advantage of users who dont know the sim."

You see it that way, others see it as giving a helping hand. Some users don't want to know the sim, they simply want to drive. Ultimately AP is a business and they need to earn money, same as DTG, who have done some things I would regard as far more dubious. In reality long as there are buyers our opinions don't really count for much.

• Falls Jemand das Pack installiert hat : fehlen dann sämtliche Ambiente Sounds, so dass außerhalb der Zuges und auf den Bahnhöfen grabesstille ist ? (Und dann kommt mir noch der Gedanke hier etwas OT : läuft die Villingen- Konstanz Steamversion instabiler, da der Ambiente Sound hinzu gefügt wurde ?)

PC-Daten und ein TS Einstellungen siehe Profil

• N'Abend,
    also ich habe mir das Paket mal geholt.

Der Preis mag für manche vielleicht zu hoch sein, jedoch ist nach der Installation durch die *.exe ja alles bereit zum fahren, und man muss nicht selber noch rumprobieren. Und es für viele Strecken wiederholen.
    Da möchte ich meine Zeit doch lieber ins Fahren und den Szenariobau investieren.

Ich habe einen ersten Test auf der North London & GOBLIN, verbunden mit der Chatham Main Line (aus dem Steam Workshop) gewagt.
    In dem Szenario fährt man einen größeren Teil der Strecke ab, freigeschaltet wurden North London, GOBLIN, Chatham Main Line, London - Brighton, South London Network, Class 319, Class 66 EWS, AP JHA, AP Class 66 Enhancement Pack.

Zum Szenariostart ist man mit dem eigenen Zug (319) allein auf je 2 Kacheln in jede Richtung. Szenerie-Qualität ist auf 'hoch'.
    Vor der Installation lag die Auslastung bei 3 308,5 MB beim Start.
    Nach der Installation lag sie bei 3 069,7 MB beim Start.
    Auf mittleren Einstellungen käme ich nun defintiv nicht mehr an die 3 GB heran, sondern maximal auf 2,9 GB.

Ansonsten kann ich Szenarien, die vorher nur mit Glück auf mittleren Einstellungen (Szenerie-Qualität) fahrbar waren, nun definitiv auf mittleren Einstellungen fahren.
    Ich empfehle daher, die Einstellungen erstmal nicht zu verändern.

Unterm Strich kann ich das Pack jedem empfehlen, der ein paar der genannten Strecken besitzt sowie häufig darauf realistische Szenarien fährt und so Probleme mit Abstürzen bekommt.
    Aber eine Garantie ob es auch wirklich merkbar wirkt, kann wahrscheinlich keiner geben.

Ganz ehrlich, ich hätte nicht gedacht, dass die Sounds der Umgebung so viel Platz im Arbeitsspeicher einnehmen :huh:
    Nun gut, für die Zukunft hat man ja dann einen weiteren Anhaltspunkt 8)

• Im Streckeneditor kann man sich das mal ansehen: Monitor Symbol, rechtes Flyout, Unten rechts den den Lautsprecher anhaken. Wenn man dann im in einem Ton-Säulen-Wald steht, sich hunderte von Tonsäulen überlagern, kann ich mir schon vorstellen, dass der TS da schon ausgebremst wird, die ganzen wav, bzw dav Dateien müssen ja auch irgendwo ins RAM. Ganz tot würde ich das nicht machen, aber weniger ist oft mehr.

Keine Hilfe und Auskunft per PN, da meist von allgemeinem Interesse. Diese Fragen bitte im Forum stellen.

• Ihr redet immer von Sounds auf englischen Strecken. Bei mir habe ich noch nie einen Sound auf den Strecken gehört , höchstens ab und an etwas Vogelgezwitcher, sonst ist auf den Strecken totenstille. Ich hatte mal im Editor geprüfte ob überhaupt die Saundsäulen aufgestellt wurden. Die Strecken haben jede Menge Säundsäulen aber es kommt kein Ton raus. Wenn ich eine Säule lösche und den Löschvorgang wieder rückgängig mache, dann spielt die Soundsäule auf einmal einen Ton ab. Nach Neustart der Strecke ist der Streckensound wieder weg.

mihu65

Intel Core i5-8600k 6x 3.6GHz (Turbo bis 4.3GHz) + CPU Towerkühler_ Gigabyte Z370 Mainboard_ NVIDIA GeForce Gainward RTX 3060 12GB_ 32 GB DDR4 RAM_ 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, M.2, NVMe für Betriebssystem _ 2,0TB HDD SATA3 für MSTS _ 2 TB SSD, Sata für TS2021 _ Windows 10 64bit_ MDCC, 248 Mbit/s